Saturday, June 28, 2014

H.E.P.A.

I took my car into The Dealer to have the oil changed the other day.  As a general rule I don't trust people who work on my car because I don't know anything about cars.  I believe I could find the area of the car where the engine thing is located but that's about it.  So the car guys can say whatever they want: "Mr. Seaweed, your Johnson Rod is in terrible shape."  

What am I going to say: "I don't think so - I inspected all four of the Johnson Rods just last week and they were in fine working mettle."

I tend to do what car people say should be done because the car is a pretty expensive item.  As a general rule I don't trust people who work on my body, either, because they can scare the shit out of me and I don't know enough about the body to mount a rigorous defense.  So what am I going to say when the medical guy who makes a lot of money and has gone to school forever says: "Mr. Seaweed, your Johnson Valve - it connects the stomach to the duodenum - is falling apart and we need to operate."

Generally, I take a walk when the car people are in action.  I don't even want to be in the same building when those people start poking around the car's moving parts.  I got a phone call during my walk telling me that the engine filter and the cabin filter were very, very dirty.  I did not return this call, preferring the "if I don't answer the phone I can't get any bad news" defense.  I decided, in my mind, to pass on replacing these filters.  Unfortunately, when I got back to The Dealer they had already replaced them at the cost of $130.  These must have been some pretty important filters.  I told them to take them right on back off.  I noticed up on the Pricing Board that one of the filters was called a Hepa Cabin Filter and it cost $80.  I didn't research the engine filter - I'm pretty good at math and could come up with a ballpark figure on that dude.

I asked my service gal, Bell, what she thought I was doing in the cabin itself?  Running a Class IV Clean Room so that I could polish semiconductor wafers?  Conducting emergency surgery on some poor sot's Johnson Valve?  HEPA, in case you're wondering, stands for High Efficiency Particulate Air.  I asked Bell if maybe they had a more moderately priced filter, perhaps a JAEPA - a Just Average Efficiency Particulate Air.  She said they did not.

There was another woman in the waiting room who needed a HEPA filter, too, AND some new windshield wipers.

"The car is only a year old," she said.  "And it hasn't rained since I bought it."  It's the desert here, basically - it doesn't rain too often.  The woman wondered why these wipers wore out.  She wasn't too happy with old Bell.

Do you think either of us will go back to that dealer?

No comments: