Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Great Truths and Deep Thoughts

Great Truths.

Truth:  That which is real, in a deeper sense; spiritual or 'genuine' reality; conformity to fact or reality.

I wish I had a bunch of new Great Truths but I do not.  That's probably a good thing because I do much better when I have to remember to do a few simple things - avoiding a long list of many complicated things - which is probably one of my Great Truths, just not the one I want to talk about this morning.

Today's Great Truth, oft repeated and rarely pursued, is this: I don't know what's best for me.  I do know that I don't like pain and I do like pleasure.  The crucial counterbalance to this fairly immature attitude is that I definitely know what actions are good for me and which ones aren't, and that if I do the good actions and avoid the bad ones then the outcomes are good.  Not necessarily pain-free and pleasure-engorged, but good, in the long run.

I think life is a like a tetanus shot.  On the surface I see that I don't have tetanus and don't plan on getting it; I don't know anyone else that has tetanus; and that a tetanus shot sort of hurts.  So, I think, fuck the tetanus shot and bring on the chocolate chip ice cream instead.  Continuing this line of thinking I say: "Let me get this straight: I'm going to drive to a doctor's office so that someone can jab a needle in my arm and then I'm going to give them money for this?  Right."


No comments: