Monday, December 16, 2013

To Thine Own Self - Or: "A Stroll Down Prevocalic Possessive Determiner Lane"

Thine:  Your; that belongs to you.  (Singular second person prevocalic possessive determiner - preconsonantal form: thy).  Ed Note: Huh?

To Thine Own Self Be True.

What a powerful sentiment that is.  I have taken so much strength from that short expression - found on our anniversary coins, by the way - over the years.  It gives me the resolve to follow my own principles.  I have to develop a solid-citizen spiritual way of life, with much counsel and study, and I then try to stick to these principles.  I believe that I live well, within myself and as a member of the general population, when I adhere to these principles.  I make mistakes.  I make a LOT of mistakes, but at the end of most days I can look back in peace as far as my behavior is concerned.

That doesn't mean I'm always comfortable with my decisions, some of which affect other people in ways that they dislike.  And sometimes these decisions don't look great on paper.  I'm out of the mainstream in my thinking and opinions from time to time.  And what's important to me isn't always important to other people, and vice versa.  I try to understand this when someone annoys me


No comments: