Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Ch-ch-ch-ch- change! Change of Fools.

Change:  To become something different;  to make something into something different.

That's a lot of somethings in one definition.  That's not a very specific definition.  Pretty broad brush.

I hear this often and I believe it to be a great truth: I do not change something that needs to be changed until the discomfort of staying where I am becomes greater than the discomfort of the change.  I simply do not make this change.  It does not happen.  I can look at something that clearly needs to be changed, often something that is causing me discomfort, sometimes great discomfort, sometimes outright pain, and I will not change this thing.  I fear the change process more than the pain.  I'm sure that the change is going to cause me more pain than the pain I'm already in.  Facts are useless in the face of this kind of mental onslaught.  Evidence is ignored.

That's pretty much my world view: it's going to be worse.  Bad things are going to happen.  And they'll never go away.  This is why I'm such a cheery guy.

No comments: