Thursday, December 26, 2013

Seaweed, Ignored.

My father has been in and out of the hospital and rehab trying to regain his strength and mobility after a series of falls.  He hasn't been much of a robust eater as he's gotten older - not helping his balance at all - and he compounded this problem by losing his dentures.  he cleaned them and left them in a tissue on the bathroom counter and that was the last anyone saw of them, probably swept away by a diligent cleaning woman.

Getting the dentures remade by his current dentist - who doesn't do fittings remotely - is going to entail a number of visits to his office, no small task for a man who needs help to get out of bed.

I suggested to my mother that perhaps a different dentist - one that specializes in geriatric patients - might be able to accommodate an on-site fitting.  I was not upset when this suggestion was flatly, categorically denied, demonstrating that "contempt prior to investigation" is alive and well in the general population.  I remarked to SuperK: "i don't believe that my parents have ever taken one of my suggestions, ever."  She made no comment, biting her tongue, no doubt, marveling at my tendency to never take anyone else's suggestion, ever.

Fine.  A weak man doesn't eat enough to build up his strength and now he's forced to drink pureed cube steak and string beans.  Wonderful decision.  It's not so much the fact that my always brilliant suggestions go unheeded but that there's zero discussion.  No, and that's that.

At least when I get all stubborn on your ass I usually calm down to the point where I can eventually listen to some different points of view.

What do I know?

No comments: