Saturday, November 3, 2012

The Man Purse

Focus:  To fix on one object; concentrate: as focus your attention on the case of cans you just picked up.

I came back home from my swim yesterday and parked The Tank in front of our apartment.  I opened the back hatch to get my gym bag and my Man Purse, which had fallen behind a 12 pack of empty pop cans that I put in the trunk, which I intend to take to the recycling center to give to the bums - we have a nickel surcharge per returnable can or bottle here in the very Green New City.  I magnanimously donate my cans to whatever guy is feeding the contents of his huge shopping cart into the can crusher - I'm a big, generous man, as you can see, handing off 60 cents to some homeless man.

Man Purse:  A bag of indeterminate size and shape that a man who has no focus begins to carry around so that he can keep all of the stuff that he normally forgets with him.

Anyway, I get inside and begin to struggle with all of my bags, trying to get my key out to unlock the door.  Finally, I give in and set down my gym bag and my Man Purse, noting the case of empty cans still in my right arm.

"What in the hell?" I mutter.

I had picked up the cans to get to my Man Purse, promptly forgot what I was doing, and carried them across the street, up the stairs, through the entryway, and down the corridor to my door, with no awareness of what I was doing.  I couldn't maintain my focus for the 15 seconds it took to retrieve the Purse and put the cans back down.  My mind was wheeling at such a high rate that I was off on some other mind trip before I knew it.  I could have climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro with those cans.

Is it any wonder that I drank?  I should be on Thorazine.

No comments: