Thursday, November 29, 2012

A Logical Linkage

Our Steps suggest that it is quite helpful to pray and meditate, and also to engage in self-examination.  There's a sentence in the 11th Step - I confess to being unable to locate it with a lazy and cursory search so I'm forced to paraphrase - that says that although all three of these practices are wonderfully helpful the real power is when they're logically interlinked.

I do the self-examination thing on a daily basis.  You're reading my self-examination at the moment.  It's very revealing.  I do it because it's hard for me to bullshit myself when I'm writing.  I can do it when I'm talking and trying to impress someone but frankly I don't see the point when I'm all by myself writing.  I also try to meditate although this usually evolves into a nap or a wild sexual fantasy or a careful, detailed accounting of some terrible vengeance I'm going to wreak on someone who definitely deserves it.  Meditating is cool - it's done by cool people who study Eastern philosophies and travel to Bhutan to do it.   Praying is not cool - it's done by nice people who dress up once a week and all go to church together.  As a cool guy I've been working hard on my meditating and slacking on the praying, with predictable results.

My head is usually full of crap.  There are a lot of people yelling and screaming and generally causing a lot of mayhem.  When I meditate I try to slow down and ignore the mongol horde.  Praying is more like trying to talk over the gibberish, like when my sister was pissing me off when we were kids, and I would stick my fingers in my ears and make a lot of squeaking noises.

I did some praying over the last few days..  Helped me out.

No comments: