Sunday, February 20, 2011

Bored With Change

I'll tell you this, Batman: you want to shake up your world try moving to a new city. It's a guaranteed shake up. I have now been here long enough to have reached a tentative peace with the change, and that's a good thing, because the whole idea of the move was to experience the change. I'm one of those guys who has a lot of fear when it comes to change but I welcome it because I know it brings about good things, or interesting things at least. I have to remember that The Big Change was quitting drinking and street drugs and prescription drugs obtained illegally, and it was a change that saved my life.



In my Old City there was a group of guys who went out for lunch every Saturday after a 12 & 12 meeting, which for some reason didn't touch the second part of the 12. I have a lot of good friends in this group, men I love dearly and consider my brothers, so I joined them for 6 months or so, until I got Bored, which was inevitable, being a restless sort who craves new experiences. Yet it's comforting to have a routine like that, populated with people you know. Sometimes in the New City I get up after a meeting and watch old friends pair off and talk, and I stand there alone and think: "Huh."


The Elder Low and I talk about this all of the time. His job has moved him frequently all over the world, and he's looking forward to settling in some place. He terms the place his "headquarters."  He wants to be grounded somewhere, to put down roots. 

I know the feeling. 

No comments: