Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The Taker

Take: To get into one's hand or hold; to acquire for oneself.

Today I am going to be A Taker.


I'm not sure how this differs from any other day to be honest with you. I spent a few minutes thinking about all of the days when I assumed the roll of A Giver but nothing came to mind. I'm drawing a blank. I'll have to go through my notes and get back to you on that one. I'm sure it's happened at least once, maybe twice. I don't think that I'm going to get into double figures.

The world owes me everything. I deserve to be given EVERYTHING! I deserve more than my fair share, which is the whole pie. Screw getting the biggest piece of pie -- I want the entire thing.

Giving is for the weak among us. Those who don't understand that by giving they're losing out on getting more. I was the guy who couldn't remember where my car was but had perfect recall on who had bought how many pitchers of beer. I'm like the Rain Man on that one. Russell stills owes me for one pitcher back in 1972, late fall, I believe, before the rains came. And there was no obvious reason for me to tip the person who brought me the beer. If they were unhappy with their compensation they should have taken that up with management, not long suffering customers.

Isn't it a cruel irony that the things that I want, the things that I think make me feel better, are empty calories in the long run? Sugar versus cauliflower; exercise versus Survivor; stuff versus god?

1 comment:

mike said...

thanks for the post.
Ego can surely take control of all of us, addicts or not. We do tend to want more than what we need, or at least want what others have instead of being grateful for what we do have.