Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Children of Chaos

 "I will try to keep my life calm and unruffled. This is my great task, to find peace and acquire serenity. I must not harbor disturbing thoughts. No matter what fears, worries, and resentments I may have, I must try to think of constructive things, until calmness comes. I believe that in the spiritual world, as in the material world, there is no empty space. As fears and worries and resentments depart out of my life, the things of the spirit come in to take their places."

Whew, I hear you and what a load of bullshit, all at the same time. The Book calls us Children of Chaos. We are folks used to living on the edge. We're risk takers and adrenaline junkies and we like to be in the middle of the action so being calm and slow and restful is not our thing. One of the hardest habits I've had to acquire has been some kind of effective meditation. My brain is on the move, dude, and it wants a scrap. It wants to find defects and problems and exalt in them. I mean, seriously, there are a lot of idiots and assholes out there who deserve my dismissive scorn, and I'm supposed to clear my mind of these negative thoughts?

I like the idea that matter abhors a vacuum. If you put a trillion molecules of propane in a closed box they will eventually disperse evenly throughout the whole space. If I'm concentrating on what's wrong there's no room for peace and gratitude to enter.

No comments: