Thursday, February 17, 2022

Be Of Service

During my Quiet Time each morning I always add the request that I be shown a way to be of service to someone.  We often pray for the still-suffering alcoholic but this request is broader, more inclusive.  I want to be one of those people that has good energy boiling off me.  I want to make people smile and laugh and feel better about everything.  I want people to say: "That son of a bitch is OK by me."  This sounds complicated but is remarkably easy to achieve.  It's amazing how a smile or a kind word or a goofy joke can brighten the expression on someone's face.

After the meeting this morning I parked my car in a downtown lot and started to make my way down to the beach for a walk.  (Yeah, I know, I've got it rough.)  Another man got out of his car about the same time and as we exited the lot we nodded at each other and said hello.

"How ya' doin'?" I asked.

He was fine and inquired after my well-being.

My answer these days is inevitably along the lines of "I've never had a bad day" or "I'm great - I rarely have bad days."  Try it some time - it has never produced a bad reaction.

This dude and I talked for a bit.  He was giving off a strong spiritual vibe so I asked him how he came to acquire such wisdom.

"My wife recently died of pancreatic cancer," he replied.

"Well," I said.  "It only took me fifteen years of heavy drug and alcohol use to bring me to my knees.  The stuff you're saying reminds me a lot of the perspective we get by attending meetings."

We introduced ourselves.  I told him he had made my day.  I'll probably never see him again.  He lightened my already light load and I bet he'd say the same about me.

No comments: