Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Proper Use of the Will

 "We should be sensible, tactful, considerate, and humble without being servile or scraping.  As God's people we stand on our feat; we don't crawl before anyone."  BB P 83.

One of my favorite phrases from The Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous.  When I needed to correct bad behavior I fought the process - when I corrected the bad behavior to the best of my ability and tried to change my behavior to prevent a repeat of the bad behavior I continued to beat the shit out of my self forever.  I find that alcoholics whipsaw between apologizing for nothing to apologizing for everything.

Will: Mental powers manifested as wishing, choosing, desiring, or intending.

This is a hell of a good definition.  Very illuminating.  The idea of "turning my will over" has always been a little confusing for me.  "Turning my life over" makes more sense.  If I get up and see that I have a flat tire on my car I figure I have a flat tire on my car.  That must be in God's plan for me.  "It is what it is" is bandied about the Seaweed household all the time.  But turning my desire to never have a flat tire?  Meh.  I guess the idea is to turn off all of my wanting and wishing and desiring and lusting.  I guess the idea is that my higher power is in a better position to decide what's in my best interest and what's not.

"Every day is a day when we must carry a vision of God's will into all our daily activities. 'How can I best serve thee - they will (not mine) be done.  These are thoughts which must go with us constantly.  We can exercise our will power along this line all we wish.  It is the proper use of the will."  BB P 85.


No comments: