Monday, August 10, 2020

PlayStations and Such

 This idea of prayer has always intrigued me.  Talking to god.  It makes me laugh to think of god being interested in anything I have to say.  I'm a two year old laying out the agenda for the day.  Top of the list is a new PlayStation.  Mom is nodding her head and totally ignoring me.

Petition: A supplication; an entreaty; to make a request.

"Now, what of prayer?  Prayer is the raising of the heart and mind to God.  Prayer, as commonly understood, is a petition to God.  Having opened our channel as best we can, we try to ask for those right things of which we and others are in the greatest need."  

More bullshit about other people, I see.  And I'm uncomfortable with the idea of asking, preferring the verb "to demand."

"Having opened our channel as best we can, we try to ask for those right things of which we and others are in the greatest need."

The bullshit about other people continues unabated.  It's a flood of bullshit.

And we think that the whole range of our needs is well defined by that part of Step Eleven which says: ". . . knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out."  A few lines later we see this gem: "Even so, when making specific requests, it will be well to add to each of them this qualification:'if it be Thy will.' "

We don't pay close attention to any rules or regulations so our founders had to repeat them over and over and over . . .   Not your will, dude - God's will.

With my minor back ailment I found myself asking my higher power for a very specific outcome.  I'm only human, after all, and my wish is to have the pain quotient in my life burble along in low gear.  I am, in my defense, careful to add: "But this is what I want.  If you have other plans I'm good with that.  I'll deal with whatever your will is to the best of my ability."  I feel good about asking for what I want.  I don't think this is unreasonable.  If I want a PlayStation I should ask for one.  I shouldn't demand one and I shouldn't be setting myself up to pitch a bitch if I don't get one.  I think that the asking is healthy for me - I'm acknowledging the importance of my higher power in my life.  It's a supplication.  It's a two way interaction between god and me.

Fair Disclosure: I don't know what a PlayStation is.  I do know that it hadn't been invented yet when I allegedly was asking for one.

No comments: