Sunday, May 17, 2020

Angry Seaweed

Angry:  Furious; irate; seething; infuriated; incensed; livid; apoplectic; murderous; incandescent; steaming; at the end of your rope; hoping mad; splenetic; wrathful. (Ed. Note: Man, that's a lot of synonyms.  Kind of like the Eskimoes having 418 names for snow and 1 word for hot.)

Some people like to be told what to do so they're drawn to strong personalities.  I'm not that person.  I can't work The Program that way.  No interest in being in charge of your recovery.  I don't want the credit if it works out and I don't want the blame if it doesn't.  Pick up the toolbox and get to work.  Not only is it uncomplicated there's a very detailed set of instructions in our literature.

I was talking to a friend yesterday who doesn't always respond immediately to everything I say.  I like this character trait.  I don't think she isn't listening - I think the information is being processed.  I don't need immediate feedback all of the time because immediate feedback is often wrong.  Again I say - fast is always fast but frequently incorrect.  I do this all the time and sometimes I'm accused of being bored by the conversation or even of not listening.  I wish I had a small neon crawler sign on my forehead that would - when appropriate - say: "Buffering . . . Buffering . . . Buffering."  That way people would know I'm engaged - I'm just processing.

Reminds me of the time I was listening intently to a bookstore owner who interpreted my intensity as incipient deafness.  "Can you hear me, sir!?" she shouted at me.

"I can hear you fine," I chuckled.

More pandemic musings . . . 
I'm always amazed at how angry people can be about everything.  Especially people who live out on the ends of the spectrum.  Some of my friends are furious that they aren't getting to do exactly what they want to do all of the time and some of them are furious that other people are doing exactly what they want to do with seemingly little regard for the welfare of others.

Hey, if you want to be pissed off you can find something annoying to obsess over.   

No comments: