Saturday, May 12, 2018

Seaweed: Transcendentalistic Agnostic

"The chances are that he has become convinced that he has more problems than alcohol, and that some of these refuse to be solved by all the sheer personal determination and courage he can muster."

I'm skeptical of anyone who is cocksure about anything.  I'm talking to a guy right now who thinks I've got some kind of idea what's going on with The Steps, god help the poor man.  He's a pretty committed atheist or agnostic or something along those lines.  As I understand it an atheist doesn't know if there is a god or not while the agnostic claims proof of the non-existence of god.  Whatever.  I'm going to toss the agnostic in the same hopper with all the evangelicals burning with a certain knowledge of god.  None of y'all know shit for sure. 

Transcendentalism:  An idealistic system of thought based on a belief in the essential supremacy of insight over logic and experience for the revelation of the deepest truths.  It taught that divinity pervades all nature and humanity.

I don't know a thing about this philosophy.  I downloaded books by Ralph Waldo Emerson and Henry David Thoreau to give it a look-see.  It would appear that one of the most fundamental precepts of transcendentalism is the belief that everyone must use their middle name.  David Lee Roth and Lee Harvey Oswald are other prominent transcendentalists.  I'm impressed that it contains the idea that god can be found in nature.

I'm letting some of the stuff that I read in the aging book sink in.  I'm not all in with the ideas but it has got me thinking about how easy it is to slot a person into a random category.  As in: you're too old - you're a boring idiot.  Or similarly: you're too young - you're a boring, stupid idiot.

It goes on like this for while.  I won't bore you with all of the categories of idiots that aren't me.

But I do want open myself up to the wisdom of The Elders and the enthusiasm, the optimism of The Young.  It's all good stuff.  

No comments: