Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Textual Context

Patient:  Willing to wait if necessary; not losing one's temper while waiting. 

When I was trying to get sober and struggling with the bad-ass man-god of my childhood religion I decided to find another cooler god.  So I read all kinds of books on religion.  I read and I read and I read.  And - of course - I found that most religions and spiritual philosophies are pretty similar.  I haven't yet found one that says: "Be a dick to everyone."  Love is not overrated and thinking of others is recommended and attaining a greater knowledge of a Higher Power is very popular - these are ubiquitous sentiments.  

I've mentioned dipping back into the main text of my childhood and doing some reading.  I've been underwhelmed - some of it is a little preachy and it can be repetitive - but I also haven't been at all outraged.  Generally it comes across as very nice and pleasant and OK.  I enjoy the reading the most when the emphasis is on those universal kinds of suggestions such as "Don't be a dick to anyone."  Whenever I run across some theme that I like I make a note of the page for future reference.  I confess to spending too much time looking for ammunition to use against the Holier Than Thou set.  For instance, I've run across a lot of passages telling us to take care of the poor, give away all of our money to charity, obey the government, etc.  I don't hear these emphasized as much as some of the more controversial social statements.  But I'm sure that's on me - I'd do better if I listened for the good instead of trying to ferret out the bad.

There have been a few about dealing with our troubles that stuck with me:
"We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials for we know that thy are good for us - they help us learn to be patient.  And patience develops strength of character in us and helps us trust god more each time we use it until finally our hope and faith are strong and steady." 

What the hell is the matter with that?

In a similar vein . . . 

"Dear brothers, is your life full of difficulties and temptations?  Then be happy, for when the way is rough, your patience has a chance to grow.  So let it grow, and don't try to squirm out of your problems.  For when your patience is finally in full bloom, then you will be ready for anything, strong in character, full and complete."

What the hell is the matter with that?

No comments: