Friday, August 11, 2017

Relentless, Tireless Seaweed

Direct: To manage, control, steer.

If there is a central tenet in my overall spiritual development it is this: god is an idiot.

For me to assume that god is not an idiot I would have to believe that god knows what is best for me when it's obvious to everyone that he clearly does not or I would be getting everything I want to get and avoiding everything I would like to avoid.  This isn't happening often enough so I must also assume that god wants my input on how things should run.  It's quite likely that he wants me to actually run things.  This is the only natural progression arising from the facts on the ground: I'm not getting everything I want!

I can just picture it: "Ah, I'm screwing things up - maybe I should let Seaweed call the shots.  THEN everyone would be happy."

The actual central tenet of my spiritual life . . . or practice, at least . . . is this: I will do everything that I can possibly do to get things the way I want them and only when I've failed and failed and failed and lie exhausted and demoralized on a sterile stainless steel table, bathed in cold fluorescent light, will I turn my life and my will over to my higher power.

Wait, wait . . . I'm lifting my head up one more time.  There's one more thing I can try . . . 

No comments: