Friday, April 3, 2015

King Lear

Sociopath:  A personality marked by antisocial behavior and a pervasive pattern of disregard and violation of the rights of other. 

I'm not a guy who remembers his dreams very often.  I sleep pretty deeply - I'm not sure if this is because I have a clean conscience or that I'm sleeping the sleep of the damned.  I've heard sociopaths sleep well.  I'm not going to SuperK for clarification on this one, that's for sure.

When I do remember my dreams they are hilariously literal, the theme usually being I'm not prepared for something important, often school related.  I haven't been in school for 40 years but I'm still showing up for class, for a test, totally unprepared.  SuperK scoffs: her dreams are involved and muli-layered and complex.

Last night I was hanging around the outskirts of a small open-air theater where Shakespeare's "King Lear" was being performed to a sparse, desultory crowd of people sitting on metal folding chairs.  I was worried because I was the actor playing King Lear himself in the upcoming matinee and evening performance.  I had, naturally, not studied a bit.  I was agonizing on whether I should just get on stage and wing it (I imagined teleprompters or something electronic helping me out) or come clean to the individuals responsible for putting on the play, one of them clearly an old high school teacher.

I like the fact that I'm the LEAD in a SHAKESPEARE play - maybe as difficult a playwright as there is - in KING LEAR - maybe as complicated a play as he has written.  No ego issues there. 

THERE'S a situation that I'm not controlling.

No comments: