Friday, July 18, 2014

Sears Redux

Sears got back in touch with me.  It would have been a nice gesture a month ago.  I took the time to respond to the person who reached out to me.  I did this for my own amusement and not because I hope it will change anything in the massive Sears' machinery.

Here's what I wrote:

Hi, there, Rey T!  How is your day going? 

I don’t recall exactly when I filled out the customer complaint form on the Sears web site but it’s been a while ago.  I wrote the letter on June 13th and you probably know today is July 18th.  That’s a pretty long time, Rey, especially for a guy like me who isn’t world famous for his patience.  Just ask my wife – she’ll confirm this fact.

So what happened after we returned our second defective Sears’ patio set is that we drove over to the local Lowe’s and bought one of their patio sets.  They put it together for us which was pretty nice of them although I’m sure they hid the cost of this service in the overall price of their product.  Frankly, we were OK with that – the thought of trying to put together another patio set from any retailer caused us to break out in a cold sweat.  The Lowes’ patio set has been outside on our patio for about a month.  So, as you can see, we don’t have a need for a Sears’ patio set.  The time to convince us that the Sears’ patio set is a fine product that will provide us with years of fine service is long past, Rey.   It has receded in the metaphorical rear view mirror.  We have no need for two patio sets so that leaves Sears in the lurch.

As an aside the offer of a 10% discount on a future Sears’ product is not at all helpful.  Here’s the thing: we’re not happy with Sears, their products, or their customer service so you can probably understand why we don’t want to risk some more heartbreak by buying another Sears’ product.  For instance, I need a new microwave and a new dishwasher right now but have little inclination to try a Sears’ product.  It was one thing to load up a partially assembled Sears’ patio set and return it to the store but a dishwasher?  I don’t think so, Rey, I don’t think so.  

At the risk of repeating myself - since no one seems to be paying much attention to the facts as set forth in my original - letter I would propose that if all of the managers I ran across in our local Sears’ store had offered some type of discount at the time – when we were frustrated and distraught – then the waves might have broken Sears’ way. 

The tide is going out, Rey, not coming in.

Again, nothing personal, old friend.  You tried your best but the summit you faced was insurmountable.

Fondly, 
Little Stevie Seaweed

No comments: