Monday, July 7, 2014

Controlled Drinking

"But we must be careful not to drift into worry, remorse or morbid reflection, for that would diminish our usefulness to others."

Worry:  To seize or shake by the throat, especially of a dog or wolf.

That is a GREAT definition.

Remorse:  A feeling of regret for doing wrong or sinning.

I was getting ready to do some writing this morning, drifting into worry, remorse, and morbid reflection, when my phone rang.  It was an old friend from The Program.  I hesitated before answering because I clearly wanted to spend some additional time in worry, remorse, and morbid reflection, three of my Go-To emotional states.  I took the call and had a great conversation.

I had read an article in The New York Times yesterday about an organization that is promoting controlled drinking.  They cited a few studies indicating that the success rate of The Fellowship isn't that spectacular (no shit) and that a combination of aversion therapy, medication (including some pretty spectacular combinations of drugs that I abused with great relish), and cognitive therapy can be just as effective.  My friend visits on-line meetings and apparently the topic is coming up there.  This is a topic that comes up from time to time.  

The article got my blood boiling for a minute.  I hate criticism of an organization that works for me.  I was disappointed that the controlled drinking folks didn't mention that we bend over backwards to suggest that anyone is free to recover or not recover any way that they see fit; moreover, we encourage people to make use of all the wonderful outside sources of support that exist.  But if you aren't thrilled with a 12 Step Program that is based on some kind of spiritual awakening I would suggest that you're going to be disappointed coming to a meeting that uses a spiritual awakening and The 12 Steps to get your life back on track.  To me it would be like going to a yoga institute to get in shape and then bitching that all they do is yoga.  Well, duh.

My buddy and I chatted a bit - an old friend and it was a good talk - and the worry, remorse, and morbid reflection receded in the rear view mirror.


No comments: