Friday, March 22, 2013

Telling Others What They Should Do, If Only Because I've Made Such a Great Success of My Own Life

There really are fewer and fewer things to complain about which makes the fact that I complain so much all that more amazing.

I spoke on the phone yesterday to my mother.  This is the very same mother who is living in a house that she is having trouble maintaining but will absolutely not entertain any suggestions to move to what I would consider, in my extremely humble opinion, in my great wisdom, in my deeply intuitive, unsparingly accurate knowledge of what's best for everyone else, to be a more appropriate place.  

I have learned that competent adults are free to do what they want.  I have learned that people are not interested in me telling them how badly they're screwing things up.  And just as importantly, I've learned not to let their decisions become my responsibility.  I don't bring up my extremely correct opinions; I don't criticize people who run into problems because they don't follow my extremely correct opinions; and I don't fall into a deep depression when and if they run into problems when what they do doesn't work out.

Sometimes, anyway.

No comments: