Tuesday, March 12, 2013

An Architectural Primer

Doors and windows and hallways are all pretty standard features of your modern super-building.  Which makes it odd that I don't really understand what they are and what they do and where they can be found.  I'm more of a blaze-your-own-trail kind of guy - if I want to go somewhere I go there, to the best of my ability, with no regard to doors and walls  .  .  . did I mention walls?  They can be important obstacles, too, unless you own your own modern super-bulldozer like I do.  I thought of a destination; I visualized the destination, albeit through a heavy miasma of drugs and alcohol; I made for the destination.  Often I was on the tenth floor of a modern super-skyscraper, in a windowless hallway made of stainless steel walls and my bulldozer was out of diesel, but I'm not one to let minor obstacles get in the way of me getting what I think I want.

Sometimes I don't even know I'm looking for a door until a huge industrial door appears before me.  I could drive a $%!! Mack truck through this door and I'm wandering around wondering what the hell's going on.  Suit up, show up, get on the trail and start making some progress is my occasional motto.  Stay on the trail and move forward.  

It becomes clear.

No comments: