Thursday, October 6, 2011

Grasping

Grasping:   Greedy; eager for gain; avaricious.
Grasp:         To take hold of firmly . . . ; to take hold of eagerly or greedily; seize.


The Minor Buddhist talks a lot about the problems that bubble up when I spend too much time in grasping mode.  I think that about all of the pain that there is in my life comes about when I try to grab and hold onto things too strongly.  Grasping is a brutal concept; it implies greed and gain and power.


My impression is that I should strive to wear the world like a loose garment.  I'm in the world; I'm part of the world; but I shouldn't try to wrestle life down to the ground and pain it.  Meditation helps me here -- it allows me to watch the world flow by without judgment.  


My claw marks are on everything.

No comments: