Sunday, October 2, 2011

A Glamorous Life

Dude spoke at the meeting this morning: "I was 16 the first time I had a drink of wine.  I liked it so much that I drank as much as I could as often as I could."


"Men and women drink essentially because they like the effect produced by alcohol.  The sensation is so elusive that while they admit it is injurious, they cannot after a time differentiate the true from the false."
Glamour:     Magic; enchantment; magic spell or charm.
Glamorize:  To make something glamorous.


I was told growing up that alcohol and drugs weren't good for me, then I tried them.  Boy, did I disagree with that advice; I felt like I hadn't been receiving accurate information.  It felt like the adults were lying to me.  Drinking and using made the bad go bye-bye.  I vaguely sensed that what I was doing wasn't going to be good for me in the long run but I was really addicted to the relief that the alcohol and drugs provided.  The adults should have said: "This stuff is going to make you feel better in the short term but really cause problems in the long run."  I would have respected that more than "Just say no."  I would have kept drinking, of course, coming up with some other kind of excuse.
  
I need to keep getting this information.  The problem with me -- one of many -- is that I glamorize my past when it comes to drinking.  It was a real problem solver and it was cheap, easily obtainable, and fast-acting, unlike all of this %^$!! work I have to do in recovery.  

No comments: