Sunday, October 16, 2011

And I Deserved It!!

Deserved:  Well earned; merited.


The thing is that I deserved to get fired.  I was no longer very productive at my job and I hadn't been in quite a while.  I didn't enjoy what I was doing or the people I worked with or the philosophy of the company or even their motto, which was: "Why?  Because We Don't Like You."  Any two of those factors put together would be a good reason to move on, or to be moved on by force.  


When I started working on inventories and tried to take a semi-honest look at the reasons behind my dismissal from various jobs, both drunk and in sobriety, I kept coming across a central theme.  Me.  The central theme in all of the various, wide-ranging scenarios, was me, Horseface Steve.  I spent so much time trying to blame other people for my difficulties or discomfort that I never got around to the Horseface Steve part which is, of course, the most important part.  I found that I almost always deserved to lose the jobs that I lost.  Moreover, I found that people I worked for were generally good and decent, and that usually I should have been moved on way, way before it actually happened.


Still, it's not the best feeling in the world to get fired.  (I do like that the phrase "to be fired" is a colloquial take on the original term "to discharge."  Apparently, people used to get "discharged" from jobs and we dumbed it down to a weaponry analogy).  The actual firing was kind of like knowing that someone small was going to punch me in the gut very gently, and here it comes!  It wasn't the stunning blind-side sucker punch that used to stun me when I was drunk and stupid, but that didn't make it pleasant.


Next adventure, please.

No comments: