Sunday, March 24, 2024

Seaweed: Hypocrite

Hypocrisy:  The practice of claiming to having moral standards or beliefs to which one's own conduct does not conform; a pretense of having a virtuous character, morals or religious beliefs or principles, that one does not really possess.

I crossed paths on my beach walk yesterday with a man I know from The Program who offends me on several levels.  I say this without irony and with the assurance that he doesn't care one bit about what I think.  Often, I'll point to my ear buds and give him a fist bump as we pass because I simply don't want to talk to him, to possibly listen to a jeremiad about the downfall of society.   But the thing is he's aware of his own defects, more or less, and he stays true to his beliefs.  He also laughs at himself easily.  I like people who don't take themselves seriously.  Often I'd rather talk to someone I don't care for who is genuine than someone I like who pours forth sanctimony.



No comments: