Tuesday, March 5, 2024

Decision Fatigue

There is a psychological construct called Decision Fatigue which occurs after people have made a number of decisions in a short period of time.  Subsequent decisions may not be in the person's best interests because we're just tire of making decisions.  Marketing people know this and they exploit it by upselling customers to more expensive hotel rooms or rental cars or additional warranties.  We're exhausted from making decisions so we tend to make quick decisions to get the whole process over with.  Isn't this just another version of Restraint of Tongue and Pen?  When I'm tired I delay.  It's amazing how often a perfectly logical response pops into my head if I let it percolate for a few hours.

I'm in a good spot right now.  I'm flowing along with my life in good way.  I like the river analogy - if I sit for an hour and watch a river flow by I'm simultaneously seeing an unchanging tableau of water even though from moment to moment the water is changing.  I have a group of people in my life right now and I'm enjoying their company.  I'm not hanging onto all of the people I've known in the past while valuing and profiting from these relationships.  It comes and it goes.  Quick hanging on to that spot of water in the river - it's gone and new ones are coming.  And just as importantly I've really been leaning into this state of mind where I don't care what anyone thinks of me.  I'm free to be me, with all of the agony and the ecstasy that entails.  I'm letting it rip.

Focusing on my breath when I meditate is like sawing a piece of wood - I'm not going to cut a straight line if I watch the blade go up and down, back and forth.  I'm going to throw up so I pay attention to the spot where the blade meets the wood.

Fair disclosure: I don't own a saw.  SuperK won't let me anywhere near a portable device made of sharpened steel.  She knows nothing good can come from that.

No comments: