Saturday, February 27, 2021

Me V Everyone Else

Love people for who they are and not who I want them to be and . . . other people's business is none of my business.

For a guy who made such a mess of his own life I sure have a lot of opinions on how other people should live their lives.

I've always liked the Hula Hoop analogy - each morning I should get up, get dressed, step inside a hula hoop, and then spend the rest of the day managing everything inside the hoop and leaving everything outside of the hoop alone.  That stuff is None. Of.  My.  Business.

The machinations of society during CoVid - and A.A., unfortunately, in many cases, as distressing as this is for me  - really makes me think about all the instance where I'm satisfying my instincts at the expense of others.  There are just too many people out there who seem to be saying: "Fuck it - this is what I want to do."  I understand that I get to do what I want sometimes, even if it's not what everyone else wants to do, but I'm not living a very spiritual life if I'm just doing whatever I want to do too much of the time.

I'm wondering if my home group is wrecked for me.  I wonder if I'll be able to take the political, social stances of some of the members and set them aside.  I'm pretty good at grousing about people's behavior behind the scenes while letting that irritation melt away when I see the person . . . but this seems awfully momentous.  It seems awfully ingrained.  I might have trouble separating the person from the message.  This is too bad and not good for me and not good for A.A.  Because I get so wrapped up in myself I can see that I might be overreacting but I do hear from a lot of other people who believe similarly.

How am I doing Versus How are you doing?  Boy, that's a slaughter too much of the time.

No comments: