Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Controlling The World

 Each person is like an actor who wants to run the whole show; is forever trying to arrange the lights, the ballet, the scenery and the rest of the players in his own way.  If arrangements would only stay put, if only people would do as he wished, the show would be great.  Everybody, including himself, would be pleased.  Life would be wonderful.  In trying to make these arrangements our actor may sometimes be quite virtuous.  He may be kind, considerate, patient, generous; even modest and self-sacrificing.  On the other hand, he may be mean, egotistical, selfish and dishonest.  But, as with most humans, he is more likely to have varied traits.  What usually happens?  The show doesn't come off very well.

This sentence blew me away the first time I read it. Blew me the hell away. There was a blinding flash of light when I realized that my actions were what counted, not my motivations, and that other people did not want me to tell them what to do. Even when someone asks me what they should do they still don't want me to tell them what to do. I thought everyone


More than most people, the alcoholic leads a double life.  He is very much the actor.  To the outer world he presents his stage character.  This is the one he likes his fellows to see.


This sentence also blew me away. It made me aware that I was not me - I was who I thought you wanted me to be. I was an ass-kisser, a people-pleaser, a false friend. I was living a sordid life behind the scenes and trying to dress it up in polite company.


It was as if we were actors on a stage, suddenly realizing that we did not know a single line of our parts.


This did not blow me away although I seem to be drawn to acting references. I was a clueless dude.




No comments: