Monday, October 5, 2020

A Jeep, a Boat, and a Helicopter Walk Into a Bar

Willpower: The unwavering strength of will to carry out one's wishes.

Will: One's independent faculty of choice; the ability to be able to exercise one's choice or intention.

Sometimes you have to just grit your teeth and make changes.  You have to use your willpower to do something you want to do or stop some behavior that you think is harmful.  I remember being told early on: "There are going to be times where you just can't drink."  There was no magic solution to my drinking problem  - I had to make the decision not to drink.  I had people to call and meetings to attend and a Higher Power to rely on but, in the end, I had to exert my willpower and not drink.

I'm drinking too much coffee and eating too much sugar at the moment if by "moment" you mean "the last 20 years."  As I continue to reread my old journals I'm struck by how long I've had a desire to moderate these two annoying habits, both of are which apparently odious to me but not odious enough to . . . you know . . . do anything about.  I was talking to an old friend once about my troubles with coffee consumption when he interrupted me, in a decisive, somewhat abrupt yet oddly friendly way: "You're not ready to quit.  You'll stop when you're ready."

I have a tendency to give too much responsibility to my Higher Power.  I don't think my Higher Power is a machine that dispenses whatever I want at a time of my choosing.  My Higher Power didn't get me sober - I got myself sober.  My Higher Power opened my eyes to the tools: meetings, phone lists, sponsors, a healthy mind, reasonable willpower, a functioning car, and told me to get busy.

Give a man a fish - feed him today.  Teach a man how to fish - feed him forever.

There's an old joke about a guy living in a house that was being threatened by a flood.  He ignores the warnings to leave.  A police car comes by and the officers warn him of the danger.  He stays: "God is going to save me."  The rain thunders down and the waters rise.  After a bit a boat stops and offers to help and he gives the same reason for staying.  The waters continue to rise.  Finally, he's sitting on the roof when a helicopter swings by and drops down a rope for him to climb up to safety.  He's still sure that God will take care of him so he refuses the help once again.  The flood waters wash him away and he drowns.  Up in heaven he sidles over to God and asks why he wasn't saved?

"I sent you a car, a boat, and a helicopter.  What more did you want me to do?" God says.

Ask for help but do the work.

No comments: