Friday, March 9, 2012

Community Chest



Community:  A group of people living together and having interests, work, etc. in common, as a college community.


When I was drinking I didn't give a hoot about the interests of anyone besides my self.  This is  pretty much the definition of selfish.  I did what I wanted because it was my right and I didn't care how it affected anyone else.  If I wanted to play my stereo at 2AM I did so and at whatever volume pleased me at the time.  I didn't do anything I didn't want to even if it affected the larger community as a whole.


The Program taught me -- slowly, slowly -- to try to imagine how my actions might affect other people.  It was weird at first because I don't really care all that much about other people, except for the instances where their actions affect me.  If I want to crank Black Sabbath when you're asleep I'm good to go with that action; if I want to sleep and you do the same?  Well that's plain rude.  THAT gets my attention.  But how my actions affect others?  Meh.


Anyway, I have found it somewhat satisfying, sometimes, to behave in a respectable and socially appropriate fashion.  And I don't mean how I dress or what I do with my hair; rather how my actions affect the world around me.  I find that I am attracted to people like this as well.  I try to be a good citizen and a good person.  I don't litter and I take care of my property.  I don't cheat on my spouse.  I try to pay my taxes correctly, more or less, not getting carried away with the whole good citizen thing, and keep my hands off the store merchandise except for the situations where I intend to pay for said merchandise.

No comments: