Monday, November 22, 2010

Let's Try Something New

Travel.  Travel does not need to involve an epic journey.  A simple trip to the coffee shop can awaken a latent, childlike sense of wonder at the world around us.

Travel removes us from our familiar comforts and security, taking us into new situations, alone and vulnerable, our minds open to the world and its sensations, bringing about an enhanced sense of perception.  It can allow us to rediscover parts of our own selves that are normally obscured by the humdrum routines of daily life.  It allows us to tap parts of the self that are generally obscured by chatter and routine and also to realize how subjective our certainties are.

I lifted that almost verbatim from a newspaper.  It really spoke to me.  Whenever I think about doing something new, getting out of my comfort zone, I start to get revved up and anxious, even when intellectually I know all is well and if it isn't, then it will be anyway.

No comments: