Tuesday, September 7, 2010

One Something or the Other at a Time

I heard something interesting at a meeting once.  Something about staying in the minute.  Something about today being the only day I have.  A nifty little slogan that irritated me no end at the time and for many months after that but which stuck with me, interestingly enough.

Since then I have fallen under the spell of One Day at a Time, a concept that is transcendent in its workable simplicity.  Not tomorrow; not yesterday; today!  I still can't get my arms around it half the time, preferring to wallow in the distant past or tinker with what has not yet occurred.

My advice to you is to heed this slogan.  I don't do it very often or well or consistently but I do like the idea, at least in theory or when someone else is doing it.  I like talking about it.  That makes me sound like I know what the hell I'm doing, at least.

I was talking to a friend in The Program who is consistently all wrapped around the axle about her job.  I said:" Here's the deal: in 5 years or 2 years of 3 months this day won't mean anything.  It won't be important.  You won't remember anything about it."

Man, that's great advice.  Maybe I should try it sometime.

No comments: