Monday, April 8, 2024

Step One

Step One: "We admitted we were powerless over alcohol - that our lives had become unmanageable."

Guys, it says our lives had become unmanageable - not our wives.

The first time I drank alcohol was one Miller High Life in those clear bottles where the golden amber fluid glowed with a heavenly light.  It didn't make me feel good - it made me feel normal.  The reaction was so much more than a sense of ease and relaxation - the clouds parted, a beam of sunshine hit me and me only, and the angels sang.  I was afraid and anxious and then I was not.  I knew I had found The Answer.  When I tell this story to an alcoholic I get a knowing nod.   When I tell it to a non-alcoholic (I learned long ago not to do this) they back away as if I was Dracula.

The first time I got drunk was at a party where I spent an hour or two lying in the dark on a cement basement floor.  It was not an uncomfortable experience.  I didn't feel embarrassed or have the need to do something else.  I was drunk and lying on a cool, cool cement floor.  It made sense to me.  It seemed like a reasonable thing to do.  I had alcohol in my system so I was pretty comfortable doing what I was doing.

"Alcohol: the solution to and the cause of all of my problems."  Homer J. Simpson

The unmanageable life was quite clear quite quickly but as long as I could numb myself with alcohol I was sure I was just about to solve everything.  I didn't have the sense that things were spinning totally out of control in a way that I couldn't eventually fix.  I was driving too fast on black ice while laboring under the illusion that if I just tapped the brakes and steered into the spin I wouldn't go off that thousand foot cliff.  "Tomorrow!" I'd shout.  "Tomorrow is the day when I get my shit together!"

Man, I didn't even know where my shit was anymore.

No comments: