Sunday, April 10, 2022

Honest Abe

 "And this, too, shall pass away." How much it expresses! How chastening in the hour of pride! How consoling in the depths of affliction! "And this, too shall pass."         Abraham Lincoln

Sorry, guys, but we didn't come up with this.

When I was at the end of my drinking I had a 1966 Plymouth Belvedere station wagon that my grandpa gave me.  It ran great unless it was cold or hot or you hadn't driven it in the last six or seven hours and you could forget about it if was raining or damp in any way, shape, or form, because the engine would die if it wasn't getting any gas so whenever I came up to a stop light I'd have to do this tricky thing where I'd shift the car into neutral and rev the accelerator with my right foot while putting on the brake with my left foot.  It didn't have a radio and there were no dashboard vents so heat would only come out around your feet.  Air conditioning?  Yes, the switch was right next to the controls that made the car fly.  

I'm grateful every morning when I get into my car.

In the meeting yesterday we talked about feeling good in the morning.  When I was drinking the concept of "feeling good" and "morning" was what is called an oxymoron.  Examples of this disconnect are a "smart idiot" or a "tiny giant."  They are mutually exclusive.

If you had asked me right before I got sober why I wanted to quit drinking and to keep the reason to one sentence I would have said: "I want my mind to stop for a couple of minutes."  I'm always so amazed when my mind is quiet.  This happens often today as opposed to never when I was running and gunning.  Our minds are made to think and that's what they're going to do so I'm not overly surprised when the thing takes off on its own but it is so pleasant to not be held captive by a racing, catastrophizing head.

No comments: