Monday, June 25, 2018

Continuous Action V Sustained and Personal Exertion

Here are a few of the nicknames I've acquired over the years: Half-Measures Seaweed; Half-Ass Seaweed; Not-All-There Man; Doesn't Appear To Give A Shit Dude; etc., etc., etc.

I'd like to achieve great success while lying on the couch.  And a one day turnaround would be nice.  Maybe I can achieve great success while sleeping.  That would be really great.  I remember my first sponsor, tired of my incessant bitching, telling me to go home and wash down the kitchen walls.  "Just do something," he said.

I demurred, preferring talking about doing something to actually . . . you know . . . doing something.

Action:  Something done so as to accomplish a purpose; fast-paced activity.
Exertion: An expenditure of physical or mental effort.

Our literature's take on this?  Ah, not so much . . . 

"Like all the remaining Steps, Step 3 calls for affirmative action, for it is only by action, that we can cut away the self-will which has always blocked the entry of God . . . into our lives."

"Nothing short of continuous action upon these as a way of life can bring the much-desired result."

"More sobriety brought about by the admission of alcoholism and by attendance at a few meetings is very good indeed, but it is bound to be a far cry from permanent sobriety and a contented, useful life."

"All of the Twelve Steps require sustained and personal exertion to conform to their principles and so, we trust, to God's will."

Hi Ho Hi Ho it's off to work I go.

No comments: