Friday, December 16, 2016

Talking Decanters of Sherry

Here's another I notice when I'm traveling: the presence of alcohol seems to be a little louder and more insistent.  I've always thought that if I should ever pick up a drink again - god forbid - it would be during a vacation.  When my back is up against the wall with some real or perceived tragedy I tend to reach for The Program.  But when I'm out of my routine, when meetings are few and far in-between, when weariness and inconvenience make attendance more problematic, I find my mind wanders ever so little.  Yesterday there was a meeting we could have attended at 8PM but we were wiped out from a long, tough hike and we would have had to go out in the dark in a strange city to find this meeting place.  It wasn't hard to say screw it.

The last place we stayed out had a decanter of sherry and little sherry glasses in our room and in the common room.  I've never had a glass of sherry in my life.  I don't even know what the fuck sherry is but I was aware of that cut glass decanter every time I walked into the room.  I didn't feel like drinking anything but I knew it was there.  Now the hotel room has a bottle of wine on top of the mini-bar which is also stocked with beer and little whiskeys.  I'm sure the wine costs like $297.  The wine in a hotel mini-bar is not a good bargain.  But I had to take that bottle and put it on the top shelf in the closet.  I just didn't want to see wine looking at me.

Time for a meeting?  Yeah, maybe

No comments: