Thursday, July 28, 2011

Horseface Steve Says: "It's ALL About Me!"

Interest:  A feeling of intentness, concern, or curiosity about something.


I'm not really interested in anybody else.  I'm still trying to work up some interest in other people but it's going to be a long slog.  On the other hand, I'm VERY interested in myself.  I often pretend that I'm interested in you but I'm lying, mostly, to be honest about it, which is another one of my more attractive character defects.  Lying about being interested in you.  I've very talented -- I often combine multiple character defects into one or more sets of actions.  I get a lot of bang for my buck in the defect department.  I'm clearly a hell of a guy.  


I heard a guy share once about his relationship with his wife and how it was improving as he changed his behavior.  He said that when his wife came into the room and had something to say, he turned off the TV and really tried to pay attention.  This was hard for him because he really didn't find the things she was saying all that interesting.  He found that as he pretended to be interested he really did become interested.  This can be classified in the old Program category of "Fake it 'till you make it."  This is similar to my experience of doing nice things for other people because I was told to be nice by my sponsor, not because I wanted to be nice, and finding that I started to generate enthusiasm for someone besides myself.  I acted my way into good thinking as opposed to trying to think my way into good action.


When SuperK says that I'm not listening, I can usually regurgitate the basic jist of what she has said, kind of, more or less, with a bunch of large, glaring mistakes.  I used to think I could watch some college basketball game that I didn't give a hoot about while she talked.  I think that people typing away on Smarter Than You phones during meetings are committing the same mistake.  Why don't we each bring our newspapers and small personal TVs to meetings, too?  The point is that this behavior is rude and it's selfish.  It marginalizes other people.  You might as well say: "This TV program is more important than you are," even when someone may be sharing something personal and painful.  You're probably offended at the thought of making such a comment, even though it's probably closer to the truth than anything else you might do.


Wichita State vs. Tulsa?  I mean, are you kidding me?

No comments: