Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Bend To My Iron Will

Expectation:  A looking forward to as due, proper, or necessary; anticipation.

I think that my understanding of the concept of expectation tends to be a little harsh.  I have a tendency to warp most things until they no longer resemble their original state.  Often I confuse expectation with something that is more like demanding.  If I think something is due me or I must have it or it's my birthright then I get in trouble.  That's insistent.  There's no play in that attitude.

"Things will happen like this," I think, rigidly.  I get on my bulldozer and fire up the diesel.  But when I step back and try to analyze what's really going on I find that half the time I don't even know what I want.  And god forbid I get what I think I want.

That's usually a total disaster.

No comments: