Wednesday, May 24, 2023

Too Rich and Too Smart

 I'm always amused at what comes burbling up when I'm trying to sit quietly before I start my day each morning.  

Here's a couple of tidbits . . . . 

A high school friend that I got reacquainted with when he came into The Rooms many years ago flashed through my brain.  This man wasn't rich - he was rich rich, looking down on people who had to work for a living instead of living off a trust fund rich.  I used to idly wonder how wonderful my life would be if I had that kind of money - not in a jealous way but in a man, would I love to be rich rich kind of way.  Replace my Very Expensive Car with a SuperCar kind of idle thinking.  My friend got addicted to prescription pain killers many years ago and he's still addicted to them.  I understand that his money has enabled him to bypass the almost inevitable descent into heroin/fentanyl addiction that happens to most people when their doctors refuse to right any more Rxs and they're forced into using much cheaper heroin/fentanyl.  His money has insulated him and prevented him from really coming into recovery.

Another flash was a highly educated man that I met when I was back in Cincinnati.  This guy was smart smart, possessing multiple degrees and holding an important position in educational circles.  Tried crack cocaine once and he was off and running.  I've lost track of him and no one I know back home has seen him around.  What do you think?  Jail, dead?  Wouldn't doubt it.  His brainpower got in the way of his embracing the work we have to do to stay sober and prevented him from really coming into recovery.

No one is too dumb or too poor to get sober but plenty of people have the opposite problem.

No comments: