Wednesday, December 14, 2022

Not That Important

 I've got a birthday coming up soon.  Birthdays used to be a cause for celebrating (Or: drinking and using, as if I needed a reason/excuse to drink and use).  Or at least a time to procure some more swag that I didn't need.  Now what I mostly do is make a quick calculation as to how much time I have left on this mortal coil.  Usually I'm quick to point out the downside of anything while ignoring the upside but here's an exception.

I walked about five miles to an auto repair shop to pick up my wife's car.  My recollection is that I was told the car would be ready in the morning.  I don't recollect anyone saying that they'd call me as soon as it was ready.  All of this may be true or some of it or none of it at all.  Which isn't really the point.  The point is that when I got there the car wasn't finished and it wasn't going to be finished anytime soon.   Had I reacted on my knee-jerk action I would have been unpleasant because what I wanted was for the car to be ready.  This was what I wanted and what I want is really the only thing I care about.  

The upside?  I've learned through hard experience to keep my fucking mouth shut when I'm disturbed for any reason.  Restraint of tongue and pen and internet and all that.  And when my mouth is shut I usually arrive at the million dollar question: "How important is this?"  And almost immediately the million dollar answer appears: "Not very important."  And I let it go and my day moves on, without much collateral damage.

No comments: