Sunday, November 7, 2021

OTHER People !?!

"To do what is best for the other person, to put what is best for him or her above my own desires.  To put God first, the other person second, and myself last."

"We cannot find true happiness by looking for it.  Seeking pleasure does not bring happiness in the long run, only disillusionment.  Do not seek to have this fullness of joy by seeking pleasure.  It cannot be done that way.  Happiness is a by-product of living the right kind of a life.  True happiness comes as a result of living in all respects the way you believe God wants you to live, with regard to yourself and to other people."

These are tough concepts for us super-self-absorbed people to grasp.  What's best for the other person?  How do I think my Higher Power wants me to act?  While I was still drinking my motto when I encountered a long line of cars queued up to go where I wanted to get was: "You can always get in."  I was a real asshole about that.  I never thought that other people were as important as I am - well, unfortunately I still think that too much of the time - and I never considered that this selfishness made me deeply unhappy.  When I get something at someone else's expense it always left me feeling hollow and incomplete but when I'm trying to be of service to others I'm deeply contented.

No comments: