Wednesday, October 13, 2021

Nature V Nurture

Some quotes from our Big Book study today:

"The mental twists that led up to my drinking began many years before I ever took a drink."

"A.A. taught me that it wasn't so much the events that happened to me as a child but rather the way I reacted to what happened to me as a child."

"As I entered my teenage years I became aware of emotions that I hadn't counted on such as restlessness, anxiety, fear, and insensitivity."

Nature: The innate characteristics of a thing; what something will tend by its own constitution, to be or do; distinct from what is intended or encouraged.
Nurture:  To encourage, especially the growth or development of something.

The story reinforced my belief that why the alcoholism began isn't as important as making sure I understand that the solution lies within.  There's a line somewhere in the literature that suggests that the reasons we had for drinking were manipulated to fit conditions that we found ourselves in.  We became alcoholics whether we're smothered with love or receive none at all.  The salient point is that we find alcohol tamps down these emotions that we hadn't counted on and didn't enjoy.

When we want to overanalyze things we get into the theoretical discussion as to whether we were born alcoholic or we became alcoholic as the result of our upbringing or circumstances.  I think both factors must be considered.  I know that when I describe how alcohol makes me feel that the effect is much different from what a non-alcoholic will report.  Similarly, I'm sure that some people get started because of the headwinds they encounter from their families or material circumstances.  We do point out, however, that alcoholism is no respecter of class or education and that these cannot be given as excuses as to why we can't stop drinking.

It's always amusing listening to people bitch about their parents.  Jesus, what a thankless job to try to raise a neurotic, childish, grandiose, overly sensitive human being.  Talk about a no win situation.

No comments: