Monday, May 18, 2015

Seaweed - Done Diddly Done

To a certain degree I believe that I am who I am at this point.  I understand that I still need to change, that I have the capacity, the obligation, to keep trying to file off the rough edges and grow spiritually, keep trying to enjoy new experiences.  Still, mainly due to intransigence and old age, I see that I'm not going to be able to reinvent the wheel.  This isn't all bad - I pretty much like who I've become, after all - and it's in my best interest to quit fighting nature and nurture.

I've been trying to reduce my coffee consumption for several hundred years.  I don't drink that much coffee - well within any limits that would be considered excessive or abnormal - but I drink more than I should, which is any at all.  I am not a dude who needs coffee to function; if anything, coffee speeds me up to an excessive degree.  I'm like an engine being spun up to 125% of capacity.  Maybe the engine won't fly apart and maybe it won't but what's the point? is the point.  It makes me feel good - briefly - and then it doesn't.  I know this intellectually but I still drink too much coffee.

SuperK is normal with her food and fluids intake.  She isn't addicted to anything, a significant, statistical difference from me, a dude who is addicted to everything that makes me feel different. Recently she decided to test out a minor hypothesis that she'd feel better physically if she quit coffee for a while.  She gets up the next morning, has a cup of tea, and toodles off into her future.  I felt like throttling her.  I mean . . . are you kidding me?  That is messed up.

My mother - god rest her soul - used to tell me every other time I spoke with her that she was going to start walking, that she knew it would make her feel better.  She repeated this for 20 years despite the fact that if one added up the total mileage of all the walks she took during that time it would have added up to about 1.63 miles.  I got to the point where I simply agreed with her even though I knew she should either start walking or stop worrying about it.

No comments: