Thursday, February 4, 2010

More About People Not Doing What I Want Them To Do.

SuperK and I are heading off on a vacation in a few days and my main man Shorty is taking us to the airport. We do this for each other, this shuttle service thing. It saves us both a chunk of money for parking and we avoid the headache of getting from the remote parking lot to the terminal. I'm pretty sure this isn't going to be at the absolute top of his list of things to do at 6AM on a weekend morning. I hauled him over there a few months back. I wasn't thrilled about doing it before I did it, but we had a meeting in the car on the way over and I ended up feeling good about myself. I was THINKING ABOUT SOMEONE ELSE.

The weather report for that morning is looking a little dicey, so SuperK and I started coming up with contingency plans in case he didn't want to make the drive, which I think is eminently reasonable. He could have sent his regrets. I would have been fine with that. I doubted that he would change his mind, but still thought it best to come up with an alternate plan of action. Rigid thinking isn't the way to go any more. SuperK and I thought about driving over the night before. We considered leaving way, way early if the roads were bad. We reminded each other that the problem was potential and still a few days in the future, even though there is nothing like making a problem appear out of thin air. Whoosh! Where did that problem come from, Mr. Wizard?

Anyway, he called and we talked about it. I liked the exercise. It was problem solving what we did. We weighed options. We eliminated the possibility of any misunderstandings. He's still going to take us over. I would have killed him if he didn't.

I'm in the throes of another bout of Living in the Problem with my family. It's very frustrating watching people live in The Problem. It's even worse when they insist on dragging me into it with them. It would be like screaming obscenities at Shorty if we had a blizzard and he couldn't get here to pick us up. We want to consider that as a possibility before it happens, which it probably won't. Sometimes we don't get to do what we want. Sometimes we have to work around situations. We can't just plan on leaving when we want, if it snows.

A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.

No comments: